Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Welcome to the World Elijah David!

Elijah David Murphy
born Wednesday, October 28, 2009
at 5:03 p. m.
8 lbs. 3 oz.
21 inches long

On Wednesday, October 28, I went in for my midwife appointment for my 39 week check up. The week before I had been dilated to 4, and I had hoped to go into labor anytime. I was praying that she would say that today was the day. My midwife checked me and told me I was at 5, nearly 6, and that my bag of waters was ready to break. She told me to go to the hospital and get checked in, and she would meet me there in a few hours to break my water. My mom had come with me and had Paige in the waiting room. I came out and told her we had to go. I quickly called Patrick to meet us there. We got to the hospital around 11:30 a. m. and checked in. I was put in a room and they started monitoring me around 12. I was having pretty consistent contractions but no real pain. Patrick soon arrived, and he and my mom left together to get our bags, and my mom took Paige to her house to eat and take a nap. Patrick returned around 2, right after my midwife had broken my water. Labor kicked in and my contractions started coming really hard and fast. My goal was to have as natural a birth as possible, and as the pain increased I worried I wouldn't be able to take the pain. Patrick was so helpful in coaching me to breathe, but I did finally cave in and get a temporary pain shot that lasted for about 15 minutes. The shot came around 3: 45 p. m. when I was at a 7. I was in transition and the pain was very intense. I worried I would be in that pain for a long time, but transition lasted hardly anytime at all. The pain medication wore off quickly, and my midwife came in at just about that time. She had me lay on a birthing ball, and that really helped with the pain. Then she asked if I wanted her to check me. When she did, she said I was ready to push. It was only 4: 45! I couldn't believe how fast I had progressed. When I had Paige everything moved so slowly, and this time everything was happening so fast. Patrick quickly called my mom to tell her she better be on her way. She was coming, but so was Eli. I only pushed for about 15 minutes, and Eli was here. My mom arrived just as his head came out. He was born at 5: 03. The cord was wrapped around his neck and his face was blue, but he was perfect. A beautiful baby boy. This whole experience was so wonderful. I remember all of it, every part. And although it was hard and painful I believe that going without the drugs made it go so much smoother and faster. I am so thankful for how it all went, and for a midwife that really understood what I wanted, and nurses that were very helpful, family that prayed and cared for Paige, and a wonderful husband who never left my side, encouraged me, and even slept on the hospital floor for us. What a beautiful little blessing this boy is already!

1 comment:

Henderson Family said...

Congratulations Gina!!! I'm so excited for you guys and your wonderful birth experience! You had been on my mind a lot lately so I was very glad to hear that your sweet little boy had arrived quickly and safely. I'm sure you're having an amazing time with your new little family. Blessings on all four of you!